Sneed’s Ace Hardware has been a part of the Oxford and Lafayette County community in Mississippi since June 1951. Payne Sneed and Parham Shaw became partners in Shaw and Sneed Hardware located in a 2200 square foot store on Oxford’s main square. In 1963 they joined the Ace Hardware team. Parham had to quit working due to poor health in 1965 (he passed away in 1967), and the store changed its name to Sneed’s Ace Hardware.
Payne’s son Harry Sneed was always around the store; he sold popcorn when he was very young, and then he progressed to selling hardware as he got older. In 1974, he graduated from the University of Mississippi – “Ole Miss” – and joined the store full time.
Parham’s grandson David Shaw started working summers and part-time when he was in high school in the mid 1970s. After he received his accounting degree from Ole Miss in 1982, he started full time at the store as an assistant manager and bookkeeper. He worked his way up to store manager, and eventually became part owner of the store.
In 1987, the decision was made to move off of the Square to a building that was formerly a grocery store on University Avenue. The retail space increased to 6500 square feet. Payne built shelves and set up displays, while Harry and David got busy increasing the selection of inventory.
Payne continued to work every day until he passed away in 2005 at the age of 92.
In 2009 Harry and David expanded the store once more. The inside retail space is now about 12,000 square feet and outside retail is about 5000 square feet!